This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20020827   

Michael considered fate at 10:56   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
When I was perhaps a sophmore in high school I got a phone call from Asia. Asia the girl, not the continent. Asia was a grade above and years beyond my realm of comprehension. Sure, she was about my age but that didn't say a thing about our differences. Asia had, at this point, dated Gabe for awhile. Gabe was sort of a crazy, skateboarding punk but he was a nice guy too.. oh, and a karate man all the way. And I think he was a devote Christian. Anyhow, Asia was a bit the punker herself in that Degrassi sort of way. She had frizzy blonde hair and a snarl and more cleavage than was appropriate, I imagine. So she called me up. I can't remember what time of year it was, or even what time of day it was, but I remember her switching grateful dead records in the background as I played the guessing game with her. "Uhh.. are you in my class? Should I be expected to know who this is..?" In the end she was interested, I guess. She was probably as nervous as I was and I'm not sure why I bugged out but I did. I calmly talked to her while my mind raced ahead, "why is she calling? does she like me? we've never even spoken before.. could I date her? would I? It _is_ a girl.. why not? what would people think? would they think I was weird? They'd think I was weird.." It became apparent that this wasn't going to work out. I kept talking with her but I played dumb and it was over soon enough. It was a long time ago and I can't remember if we had more than one phone conversation or just that one but I remember her.. weird.. colorful.. strange.. out of my league. And as I look back now I wonder if it was more that my league was out of hers? Was I that much of a snob even as a kid? I told myself at the time that I couldn't handle her but it could have been my fear that did the talking. It could have been the fear of what others would think of me. I was a victum of my own pretention. A victum of what I hated the most but I did it anyway. Sorry Asia, we could have had fun.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: