This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030418   

Michael considered fate at 18:17   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
It's 6 o'clock here in the port city and all along the east coast there are workers kicking off their shoes after a long day of work and there are young business execs down at happy hour ordering packs of cigarettes from the bar and backing out of dinner plans with the parents.

It's Friday here and things are winding down nicely. It's a long weekend for us folks up here in ME and MA.. Patriot's Day. Paul Revere. Midnight ride.

Probably a long weekend for a lot of other people too, Easter weekend and all. It's a good time for one, too. Up here in Maine it's sand and grime everywhere. The snow is finally gone but there are still signs of winter. The dirt. The brown splotchy lawns. The heavy clouds and brisk wind that keep blowing off the ocean... But it's spring, too, and things are looking bright. The cars are shining a little bit better, the trees are sporting tiny little buds on them, and some windows are even cracked a few inches. This is the time of spring fever.

Ebay. Who'da thunk it? Really though, it was time. Ebay empowered the masses to bypass the archaic system of the corporate global economy and move directly into a much more modern paradigm - cash and barter. And it's working so good that they're selling more cars a day than all U.S. dealerships combined. They're buying up auction services like paypal.com by the handfuls. They're big.

A lot of people complain about getting screwed by Ebay but I'm still screw-free. Until i get burnt I'll keep trusting in the system. Got broke into three or four times in Montreal and the car stolen out of the driveway in ME but I still pretty much like to believe in the general goodness of the human being so I naively trust. I don't lock my apartment door. I don't lock my car doors. I invite people to drop by and use my apartment when I'm not around if they need a place to stay. If anyone needs a tv - you know where to go now. Just make sure my roommate isn't there - he looks like he could open quite a can of whoop-ass if he had to.

So Ebay - No harm no foul... yet.

So my springtime job - my plan - is an ebay project. I have an *assload* of crap. Who doesn't? I'd like to think my system is sleek and refined and only important crap remains in my possession, but the truth of the matter is that I'm a pack rat. Mostly a rat, but a little bit of the pack too. So.. to clean out the soul I'm going to clean out my closet - every single item that I don't have a legitimate excuse for is going up on the auction block. Starting bid clocks in at 0 dollars and 0 cents. For everything.

I even debated selling CDs that I don't listen to but, as Chris pointed out, that's sort of liking selling a part of your self - so I'll keep those for now.

Everything else goes. Some of it is pretty pedestrian - roller blades that never get used (I live on a big hill - I ain't that good), various pieces of computer equipment, extra CD players. Some of it isn't so pedestrian - clay sculptures, car manuals, and commemorative soda cans. But it's all going.

If shit doesn't sell it goes again. If it doesn't sell twice it goes to the Salvation Army (or the trash, depending on it's usefulness).

I'll be sure to post up links to all the auctions when I get around to it - it'll be fun to see what sells.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: