This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030405   

Michael considered fate at 18:59   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
A number of years ago all of my grandparents money and land was gathered up and put into a family trust. Probably not a ton of money - My grandfather was a machinist - but they have a decent chunk of land on a lake in Maine.

My father was put in charge of the trust and now handles all of the bills. He pays their taxes for them, pays for major home improvements and new cars and the like. He doesn't, however do anything with their social security benefits.

The other day I was discussing finances with my father and he was begging me to do something with my money other than let it sit in a checking account with no interest. He complained that there were much better options. Then he said the only people who should ever not care if their money is making anything is retired people in their 80's, like my grandparents since they aren't building for retirement - they *are* retired.

The funny part is the deposit box. Apparently my grandfather has maintained a safety deposit box at the local bank for years. When my dad asked what he needed it for my grandfather replied that he liked to keep his money in it. My father asked why? Might as well have it in a savings account or a money market. My father joked that he liked to take the money out and feel it every once in awhile. My grandfather replied that it was to keep it away from "Big Brother".

Maybe smart logic after fiascos like Enron.

I seriously question the world as we know it today sometimes. It seems so.. unsettled. For years - even through the cold war - things were fairly solid and understood. The stock market went through it's cycles. The rainforest slowly dwindled.. But you notice now, today... you hear people talking about the end of business cycles... the end of the world.. the end of the prosperity in the stock market.. are they FUCKING crazy? You never hear much about the rain forest anymore either.

Joe Ford is selling cars at 0% interest and muni bonds are actually an attractive money maker. Times are tough - momma's at the back sale.

An internet website (ebay) sells more used cars a day than all car dealers in the nation combined.

Unheard of government tactics such as profiling and photo-recognition technology through the use of thousands of nationwide cameras are actually right here.. right now. It's almost 2004 - Georgie O. was only 20 years late.

And as has already been pointed out - the Swiss won the America's Cup. The SWISS! They don't even have a coast line!

GIANT corporations... billions and billions of dollars worth of company... has disappeared overnight. Enron, one of the LARGEST companies in the world had a hard time even telling anyone what they *did* and yet no one was a little skeptical? They "fell through the cracks"?!

I seriously question the world as we know it today sometimes.

Yesterday, on Maine Public Radio they reported on the overly fat population of Maine. A law is being proposed that would force fastfood joints to list the amount of fat and calories in their burgers - right on the menu (I think.. I can't seem to find online reference to it). *Sigh* Will this solve anything? Do people really believe a Whopper is *healthy*?

Come on people.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: