This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030421   

Michael considered fate at 23:26   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Yah, you know how I mentioned I'm no good with the follow through? No good with completing a project?.. I just like to whip out rapid prototypes and once I'm satisfied it can be done I don't have any desire to do it anymore?

A few weeks ago it a few things occurred to me all at once: 1) most cell phones can text message. 2) most can text message an email address (since that is essentially how text messaging works). 3) most cell phones can't send AIM or MSN or Yahoo! messages - at least the crap ass bargain models my friends get.

And it occurred to me how much some of my friends use AIM and MSN and the like.. And it occurred to me that it would be swell if they *could* use it on their phone. It would be swell if they could check someone's away message or leave them a note or any naughty old thing you might do on an instant message. So, being the dope that I am, I said it could be done. I said sure, let's make it happen.

I whipped out a little jaim (java TOC library), some of my old SMTP and POP3 know-how, and a few hours later I had "CellTOCService" - a little program that listens for emails from cell phones and forwards the messages on to the respective AIM buddy through a generic AIM login named CellTOCService. I rigged it so you could use the subject line as a command line. From your phone you could email "AIMbritcoal" to send an IM to me. Even "AIMINFObritcoal" to get my info sent back to you. Since the program knew who it was sending messages to it could keep track of who was talking to who. Get an IM from CellTOCService that says "You have received a message from Cell#XXX-XXX-XXXX - Yo dude, you there?" and you could just simply type back to CellTOCService and it would forward the message back to the cell phone user. I quickly realized a lot of things that happen over the web could utilize this. Want the headlines to the NYTimes on your cell phone? Send CellTOCService and email that says "HTTPnytimes.com". Stock quotes? No problem.

But then I got it working. I got the first message sent, received, and replied to. I proved my point. And I stopped.

I got up, filled my coffee cup, checked my email, and I returned to other duties.

I didn't need to fly. I just needed to know it was possible.

Still though - one of these days - I hope I do fly.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: