This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030611   

Michael considered fate at 11:57   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Tony writes today about how easy it is to ride the bus in the city of angels. He writes about how more people should ride the bus more of the time and that maybe if they knew it wasn't so bad then it wouldn't be so bad.

Maybe a bit flawed logic, but that's Tony for you.

In Montreal I never rode the bus. I never rode in taxis either. Montreal was, sadly, slightly on the inefficient side of things. I once walked the 2 miles through downtown to my friends apartment to watch a March Madness game or two and when I first set my feet on Rue Sherbrooke I could see the bus way down the road to the east - some ten blocks maybe. I rushed to the first bus stop in my direction - I was going west - and I waited for a few seconds. I realized I could probably do better than that so I shuffled along another few blocks to the next stop, looking back at the bus to make sure I wasn't going to miss it. The next stop was empty and I sat down in the little shelter. I looked at the bus. 8 blocks away maybe. I got back up and started walking again. I was walking fast - I learned to walk like a bat out of hell while I lived in Montreal. It's so bitterly cold and windy most of the time there that you always want to get where you are going but you don't want to run because your lungs will fill with the razor blades of the cold, stabbing at your heart. When I got to the University Campus - half way to my destination - the bus was still a good four blocks back. One more dollar pizza joint and I gave up on it all together. I didn't really want to give them my damn twooney anyway. $2CDN for a ride on the bus. Cripes. I've had dates that were cheaper. I've had spare keys made for less. When I finally got to the corner of Cote Des Neige and Sherbrooke - my ultimate destination - I heard a rumbling behind me and I turned around to see the bus pull up to the stop. Fuck you bus, I said. I didn't really care too much but I figured I'd give it a good curse anyway. It stared back indignantly.

Here in the port city we have buses too, but I drive or ride myself. They cruise by the house every day, sadly, forlornly. Usually empty and painted for our consumerist pleasure. Yes, Mr. Bus.. I think I *will* go get that term life I was thinking of getting it - and thanks to you, Mr. Bus, I will get it at MetLife.

No. not really.

Don't get me wrong. The bus is great - the way to go if you can swing it and it's viable in your area... but when you live in a city of 65,000 the public transportation just isn't going to be up to snuff. It's more puppetry for than anything really.. really expensive puppets.. that I pay for.. through my taxes.

But you gotta support the arts. You have to go to the shows and get yourself some culture. You have to be a productive member of society and give to charities... and what better way than an automatic deduction from your pay check to support the newest show in town: viable public transportation in a small city. Gosh it's good, too.. They spin a grea tale.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: