This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030714   

Michael considered fate at 23:57   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
A Rant on Pay-Per-Music

With all the music in the world where do you draw the line between listening to stuff you've already heard and know you enjoy versus finding new and enlightening stuff? When do you decide you've had enough with a song and move onto something new?

I had a roommate in college who'd put one song on and press the repeat button. He'd keep listening over and over to that one song and eventually fall asleep. Sometimes I would come home late at night - 3am, 4am - after a late night in the computer lab or a long study session in the coffee house and I'm come into my apartment with it's big long hallways and tall ceilings and I'd listen to the silence of a sleeping household .. and then I'd walk past his room and I always hear the same song softly seeping out at me through the cracks between the door and the it's frame.

There is something comfortable about familiarity. There is something nice about seeing the same things and doing the same things and feeling the same things. It's safety. It's security.

And nothing makes people less motivated than security. (Which partly speaks to my previous diatribe on marriage, but i'll leave that alone for now)

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Desperation is the Mind of the Motivated.

But I'm not desperate nor necessary. I listen to the same two or three thousand songs an awful lot. I buy a new CD here and there but it's always a band I know. The new stuff I hear is always burned off of friends or heard on the radio or streamed off this here innernector.

The RIAA should be taking note.

Take note, RIAA, hear me here and now: I am consumer -- hear me purchase. See me make decisions about my spending habits. Hear the the proliferation of new music - for free - over the air waves and over the light waves and over the ether waves and microwaves and any freaking waves you can think of - hear that it is good. Hear that free music makes for music later bought by die hard fans.

Do any of you think Tony isn't going to buy every single album Tsar comes out with? Do you think I don't own every single weezer and beastie boys albums?

I've never burnt a beastie boys album in my life.

Does the RIAA get money for the ads you hear on the radio? No.. so why isn't the RIAA worried about the FREE music on the radio waves? Why aren't they worried about all the free shit we're getting through this very air we breath? They need to take a chapter out of their very own book, re-write it for the new freaking millenium, and get over it.

and give me more free shit.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: