This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20030826   

Turn and face the strange
Michael considered fate at 13:18   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Constantly trying to change myself and I'm not sure it ever works. G.u.n.g.e or E.r.p or britcoal or iMike, as I've now been referenced (my own fault, admittedly) all because I just like to mix things up a bit and for what? Variety? Spice?

Some people are pretty damn obsessed with things like popularity, money, power. Secret: yah, me too.. but apparently not enough to sit still because I can't.

Maybe I'd have a more cohesive presence on the web if I didn't change the heading or the name of this place every other day. Maybe I'd have more hits if I hit all the big blogs with witty comments all the time. Maybe I'd be more popular if I talked about current events, people places and things, politics.

But I don't want to sound like a bad Jeopardy round.. and I don't think I talk about any of those things very well. And I'm pretty sure no one cares too much anyway.

At least not about my politics.

My politics involve who is going to clean the bathroom next.. and I'll give you a little clue: I'm a conscientious objector.

So iMike, britcoal, g.u.n.g.e, E.r.p.. which account for probably 1/3 of all hits I get to this site (because apparently g.u.n.g.e is a gooey substance people like to pour on other people ala you-can't-do-that-on-television-slime and E.r.p is some sort of acronym for a business process or something).. well, they don't mean crap.. And that's a good thing. The last thing I'd want is an outlet limited by design. Thus no design here.

None. No design.

See I didn't come out here and say "Goddamnit, this place will be formatted. This will have content and context and episodes and issues and articles and .."

Nope.

So I can do whatever I want. Spew forth about whatever I want. Or not. I can wax on, wax off, spread any filth I want and since I don't really have much of a presence I don't have to worry about anyone caring, either. Except maybe the doktor.. Who apparently takes offense at someone suggesting an outting with her should in involve triple-bagging it.. well. So be it. I didn't say it.

Discovered a flaw in the Ducati today. The pipes, slip-ons, what-have you.. they are attached at the rear pegs with a very large bolt. The bolt passes through a hole in the rear peg assembly and then through a hole in the slip-on hanger. The hanger has a circular mark as if to suggest that once there was a washer used to make sure everything stayed together.. makes sense. What doesn't is the lack of a washer now. Also, there is rubber inbetween the hanger and the rear peg as well as rubber around the large bolt head. The left side slip-on is secured quite tightly but the rubber around the bolt head is just a round o-ring sort of thing which does not appear to accomplish much at all. The bolt is snug against the metal of the rear peg. The right side has rubber that appears to pass through the rear peg assembly as one unit - presenting a o-ring deal on both sides. This is obviously different from the left side and the right side bolt is not secure by any means. Since there are no washers, there isn't any simple way to secure it either. I'd call it a design flaw but I think it's more what you could call a DEALER FLAW.. which is to say something awfully fishy is going on. These two attachments should look identical, as far as I am concerned.. I mean, I don't design motorcycles for a living and I haven't been trained in industrial engineering.. but for christsake people.. is it too much to ask to get consistent and thorough service from a company?

I'll remind you that the bike had a major service at the beginning of this year. Valves adjusted, filters replaced, fluids changed.. the works. You would think they would have noticed there was something fishy going on with the muffler hangers. Or maybe they fucked it up in the first place?.. They managed to fuck up replacing a screw that was missing (I specifically mentioned a screw was missing when I dropped the bike off and the service tech specifically wrote on the service order "replace missing screw on chain guard" yet the screw, upon return of the bike, was still mysteriously missing) They managed to take the entire tank pump and filter assembly off - replace the fuel filter - and reassemble the parts before telling me the tank needed to be treated for rust - and soon. God forbid they tell me this while the tank was off the bike. God forbid if they allowed me a chance to get it fixed while things were rip for fixing. God forbid they do a good and thorough job.

I did eventually get the tank off myself and get it treated for rust by a reputable radiator shop... a shop that somehow managed to FUCK THINGS UP again. I'm sure I've mentioned here before the elusive fuel tank breather valve and the sealed holes and oh god it's so painful I don't even want to get into it again.

Bottom line is that the world is full of struggling struggling people.
Bottom line is that the companies of this country are always trying to save a buck and screw over the little guy.
Bottom line is that idiots like me are so dumb they will let it happen.

Bottom line is that if you ever want something done right you have to do it yourself. When you fuck up you know who to blame and when you get it right you know who to go to to get it done right the next time.

Even if you'll do it different every time. Even if you aren't consistent. Even if you can't remember how to do it.

Even if it means a long disjointed post that makes very little sense.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: