This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20031203   

I have returned
Michael considered fate at 17:02   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
It's been awhile since my last post but, if you'd bothered to read the last post, you know I've been away.. away in the land of warm sun and sandy beaches...

oh ho. No. tony has not been lying to you all this time. Sometimes some things in his little blog are true: like it's been cold in Southern California recently.. even cold to me, a Mainer. I didn't expect broiling temperatures and lots of bikini clad co-eds.. it was thanksgiving weekend after all, and it was the end of November.. but I didn't exactly expect 40s at night either. Smartly, I brought along a fleece zip up and jeans - the very thing I was, up until then, wearing in Maine (and finding quite sufficient, too, I might add).. Yet I found even this fleece to be lacking. The apartment was cold. The low lying meadow was cold. Everything was cold.

It was still a nice trip. I rode around Isla Vista on an old Peugot road bike, my friend viciously pedaling his creaking mountian bike after me. I rode down through the UCSB campus (did you know they have bike lanes.. with yellow lines.. even ROTARIES for bikes? I am told there is "rush hour" bike traffic when classes let out). I walked around in downtown Santa Barbara and made friends with Julie the bar keep from kansas city and dave the drunk VW mechanic (best goddamn car in the world). I threw the frisbee on the beach, and threw it well, while we watched the last of the day's surfers paddling on the waves. Dusk came as the sun sunk down over the pacific ocean setting the clouds aflame in pink firey rays and the mountains turned dark. I rode up the 154 through the mountains and down the 101 to the 405 and out to the edge of sanity that is the huge venice beach. We walked down Santa Monica's Main street peering into shop windows and talking evolutionary psychology. We ate burgers at the Alehouse, made friends with Jennifer the composer who embarrassingly admitted her current gig with a lifetime show. We listened to the crazy rantings of a 50 year old surfer and then I went home.

The traffic was bad, but not too bad. The Airline only fucked me up enough to delay my departure by 2 hours. The snow in Boston did nothign to delay my arrival back home.

So, to parody a commerical as if 15 seconds on a tv could explain my life:

Airplane tickets to California: $325

Beer and Food for a weekend: $80

Hiking, Biking, Discing, and just generally hanging with a quality bud and no deadlines: priceless.

(though it would appear some deadlines sneaked their way in there somehow. a shame)


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: