This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040219   

And through the competition, they won.
Michael considered fate at 11:44   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Seems everyone is always about the end game these days. Finishing. Completion. Goal states. Can I win? Can I reach the peak the climax the bottom the end? Always looking to go one step further.

Life mimics art mimics life. Like that movie nintendo they put out back in the day. No joke.

Everyone is telling me they beat the crazy japanese flash game (link a few posts below). "It took me 40 minutes," they say, or "I did it in three tries". Mmmhm. Good for them, I suppose. Really. I don't mean that with even the slightest hint of sarcasm. I just don't seem to have the drive to beat it myself. Don't get me wrong, I played the game. I applied thought and reasoning and logic to it. I spent time trying to get a better score. But I wasn't worried about completely beating it. Not really, anyway.

Somehow I missed that gene as I was assembling myself in the womb. The various chromosomes untwirled themselves from their jumbled pile of person, stretching out like sleep-filled monkeys, and danced a little Sadie Hawkins dance - the one set lining up on one side of the gym, the others directly facing them on the other side. Divided by a line, a metaphase plate. They paired off like shy children and there in the dark, one child bumped into something - dropped something important, maybe: the finishing gene.

I'm all about winning. I'm all about stubbornly finishing whatever I start. I'm all about winning..

Except when it comes to video games. It's an odd phenomenon. I just don't care. I enjoy playing. I enjoy doing well, passing levels, gaining ground. I like to beat my friends..

I just don't care about winning the game itself. As a youth I don't think I beat a single nintendo game in all the hours and hours and hours that I played it. Not Super Mario Brothers, not Zelda, and certainly not Metroid.

Maybe, in the back of my head, I was thinking that if I beat the game then I would no longer ever have a desire to play it again.

I could make an analogy about women, here, but I won't. I'll just repeat what I said: I don't care about winning the game itself.

Of course the secret is: the game doesn't care either.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: