This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040329   

Blogging 101: Blogging From Home
Michael considered fate at 20:21   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Quick point. Quick Lecture.

Blogging from home, for me, is a special treat. Usually, I am at work. Since I sit in front of a computer screen all day I need breaks here and there from the minutia of programming land. In a typical day I might post 2, 3, even 6 posts from work.. all of varying length and girth and having various topics. It's just the way she flows.

The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is to trudge up my stairs, up into my room, and whip out the 'ol iBook so I can look at a damn computer screen some more. 9 hours is enough, trust me. But on the odd occasion that the thought strikes me it's nice to have the option. It's a treat because it's writing in a different environment. Away from the whir of many servers, away from co-workers, and away from the norm.

Some people always write from home. They're in school or don't have a computer at work or, *gasp*, don't disrespect their employer enough to waste company time. But it's not really about work or home. Writing is all about creativity and if you don't stretch the boundaries of that creativity, what's the point?



Well, the point in this case is to try writing somewhere new. Try writing in class or on the bus or in the mountains on the trail. Try writing on the john hopper or in a closet. If you're not testing your limits you're a bore. Or not.

Some people have found their grove, they know what works, and it involves sitting around your house in sweat pants. Some know that they crank best when they're high or strung out or drunk. I happen to know I'm a bore when I'm a drunk. Except for drunk dials. Which is why I don't write drunk.

The point is that you need to find your own groove, and that may mean shaking things up every once in awhile or trying new things or just sitting in the same spot for hours until you can't think straight. It's a choice to write well, interestingly, and often. It's a chore to do it.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: