This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040319   

Death Row! What a Brotha Know?
Michael considered fate at 11:56   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
words words words thems be only words.

Sometimes I wish this shit be anonymous and shit cause, like, I wanna be able to write about how hard it is being me, smoking the crack I smoke, shootin the heroin I shoot, and snorting the coke I snort. Thing is the people who read this - they know me. They'd get all concerned or maybe not maybe they'd just get all playa-hatin' on me cause i'm a cool coke-bingin motherfucker and they're nothing. I don't blame 'em, I only blame me for not making this shit anony-fucking-mous so I could hammer out the _real_ details of my life that nobody knows about. At least nobody in the know.. only dirty skankwhores and low-lifes I find under the overpasses and in the wharehouses know me - the true me - and they don't know my name. That's the weirdest shit of it all, right? The people who fucking grok the shit with me and fucking boil the shit for me - I'm more anonymous to them than I am to you - my strangers here on the internet. Fucking right, life's some weird shit right?

I wish this shit was anonymous so I could gunge all over the screen and wipe it off then tell you about it and not worry that I'm sounding like a coked-out motherfucker when I write. Do you know how hard it is to write straight when you tripping on 'shrooms and some dumbass thought it was a good idea to give you some acid and then to calm your nerves you smoked a bowl and then to put it all into perspective you huffed some paint? It's hard motherfucking shit. Hard enough that it's like staring through a tunnel at the tiny pin-point of light on the other end trying to figure out if it's heaven or the headlight of an oncoming train - only to eventually find out it's your computer screen and you've been staring at it for about 45 minutes and it's actually 4-fucking-inches from your goddamn face. That's hard. Especially hard to make sense cause I don't even spellcheck this shit cause I'm a paranoid motherfucker cause this shit doesn't even think 'blog' is a word. BLOG. Fucking blogger's spellcheck doesn't know blog? And I'm the one on fucking crack here?

Right.

Anyhow, >tony says: i asked her if she wanted to come over to the crib saturday night and she passed.

It's funny what different words mean to different people (re: crib). Crib.. well, we are all lucky enough to know what crib means these days - even my fucking grandmother - thanks to M-fucking-TV. In Da Hizzouse. Whatever.

Up here in Maine Crib means something completely different. Crib refers to the extra hand one gets every other round in the game of Cribbage. Sometimes the game itself is shortened to Crib, as in "Hey man, wanna play some Crib?" Cribbage is an old English game - been around since the 1600s - and is the de-facto camp game here in Maine. In fact, if states had official card games like they have official birds and seals and flowers and animals then cribbage would probably be the official card game of Vacationland.



In England, I am led to believe, it is the only game one can play for money in a Pub.

It's a curiosity in that it requires the use of a piece of wood with holes in it in which one can mark points (using markers referred to as "pegs). There are two parts to every round; 1) The playing of one's hand, in which the two players lay a card down one after the other. If someone leads with a 2 and you follow with a 2, you get "2 points for a pair" and immediately move your peg two - this manner of scoring points during the playing of one's hand is called "pegging". After play is finished one then "scores his hand". This involves finding points using the cards in your hand (making pairs, runs, and the like).

The first person to get 121 points wins. (most boards consist of two rows of 30 holes per player, and one must travel up and down the board twice to make the 120 points, and then one last point to "peg off the board". The 120th hole is often referred to as "the dead hole" because if you get there but cannot get out before your opponent, you are "dead")

The two most interesting aspects of Cribbage are as follows: 1) Six cards are dealt to each player at the beginning of a round. Both players choose two cards to throw in the "crib" (which goes to the dealer, the deal being alternated back and forth each round). The cards in the crib make up an extra hand that is not played during the pegging portion of the round but is counted for points during the counting portion of the round. 2) When counting points (or playing cards) one receives two points for adding cards up to fifteen. This arbitrary rule is pretty much the entire basis of the game. Face cards are worth 10. If, for example, you had 5 J K Q in your hand then you would have 9 points, counted as such: "Fifteen two, Fifteen four, Fifteen six" (accounting for the 5+J, 5+Q, and 5+K) "and a run of three for 9" (accounting for the J, Q, K run - one point for each card in the run).



Of course the one thing I have failed to mention is that after dealing and subsequently throwing one's extra cards to the crib the non-dealer must cut the deck and the dealer will flip over the top card. This card is not used during play but is included in both players hands when they count. Thus a real hand has 5 cards, not 4.

The counting aloud to one's opponent allows for some witty comments to be thrown in for fun: 5 K J 2 4, for example, could be "Fifteen two, Fifteen four, and there ain't no more".

Thing with crib is, I think it was actually used to refer to a baby's bed once.. as in a bed with high fencing around it to keep a baby from falling out or wandering the house at night. I think so, anyway.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: