This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040325   

Friends
Michael considered fate at 12:36   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Some things in life should just be. Some things shouldn't need explaining or rejustification or reminding. Yet it is amazing how many people miss the point sometimes. So what I feel like a kindergarden teacher posting this? It's worth saying, generically, to all my friends, with no fingers pointed.

Dear Friend,

I just wanted to let you know that if any other friend of mine did this to me I would let them know out of respect for them and for myself so, in that vein, here it goes: Don't call me when you are in the middle of something and can only give half your attention. This includes driving in traffic, making dinner, and buying shoes at a store. Don't continually make plans to call, hang out with, or write someone if you aren't going to make the effort to do so. It's disrespectful. Don't put a pretty face on things just because it is easier - it makes someone feel like they're no more important than a stranger on the street - and the truth is more important. Don't inherit those traits you see as most false in others. Don't think that you'll hear from friends if they don't hear from you.

I think I'm talking about mutual respect here. I don't doubt for a second that you'd absolutely swear your respect for me up and down, and I don't doubt that you believe it to some extent.. but actions speak louder than words.


Your presence makes me smile. Your voice puts me at ease and makes me feel instantly better when I hear it. In many ways you've helped me grow more than you could ever know. Don't let me believe it's all just a pretty shell wrapped around an empty core. Please do not call me or write to me again if you do not intend on treating me like a friend. What this means to me is keeping in touch, calling just to catch up, returning phone calls within a few days if only to say "I've been busy, I'll catch up with you next week". It means telling the truth, not making excuses. It means making time, even when you are busy.

And It especially means only making promises you intend to keep.

Your Pal,

Michael


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: