This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040317   

Lackluster
Michael considered fate at 16:58   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
The effort today - on St. Patty's day, no less - has been less than stellar. As my old tennis coach would say: "That was a lackluster performance, boys"

I will attempt to rectify.

I watched Easy Rider for the first time last night. I quite enjoyed it. Really just fucking amazing, in fact. The thing that pains me the most about these classic films is that there are still so many I have yet to see. Sad, really, that I only checked Casablanca off my list just last year. Pathetic even.



There are a number of scenes in the film where Hopper and Fonda (Billy and Wyatt) are heading down the road on their bikes and the music is just playing and the scenery is amazing amazing shit. In one, The Band's "The Weight" is playing.. and they're just riding, baby.. riding.

fuck right.

It's movies like this that make me realize how much our world has changed in a few short decades. Hippy means something totally different now. Equality holds different weight. As fucked up as the world maybe was then it seems a whole lot more complex now. For better or worse?

The one thing I can say - and maybe this is overly niave - is that if two dirty and road-weary dudes rode up to a small motel in this day and age no one would deny them a room on looks alone. I don't know if that is because everything is corporate now and there is less discrimination because some dumb clerk doesn't care if it's not his store, or what.. but I do think it's true. I think that makes this country better than it was 40 years ago. There are plenty of things I would argue makes this country worse off now but at least this one thing, I think it makes us better on that point at least.



I also watched the complete works of tenacious d or whatever on DVD.. did you know they had a show of some sort on HBO? Yah, man.. yah. Check it out. Funny fucking shit. Those two dudes are so funny it hurts just to think about it.

Also, I heard Brian Greene on NPR's Fresh Aire last night.. Really interesting shit. Give it a listen if you have the chance:

Fresh Aire with Brian Greene

He is the physicist from Columbia University who wrote 'The Elegant Universe' (all about super string theory) and just came out with a new book that immediately went best-seller also. If you've never dipped into string theory at all now is the time. It'll bend your brain like a iron rod at a strongman competition.

One last thing, on this St. Patty's Day. I've been meaning to point out how much drinking makes sense for the Irish Catholics. It's like sin with auto-repentance and suffering built right in. You don't even have to get up for church the next day - the hangover makes you feel bad enough.



Okay. That's all for today. I have to go home and drink now.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: