This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040427   

Legal Digital Music Downloads
Michael considered fate at 11:10   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
It's been awhile since I've said anything about the commercial digital music revolution going on but I just bumbled across this article that talks a bit about the market forces pulling at the strings these days.

Interesting, albeit not too surprising to note is Wal-Mart up near the top of the list (#2) of most sales so far falling just behind iTunes. Leveraging their incredible brand awareness and also opting for a cheaper base price of 88 cents a song they seem to be making a better play at things than some lesser rivals..

Another note to make is that although the number of legal downloads has skyrocketed in the last 8 months (~2740%) to 603,000 it still pales in comparison to the amount of illegal downloads that still continue unabated to this day (~5 million).. but it could certainly suggest a growing trend.

Bottom line: they've still got a long way to go, baby, and I'm standing by my original opinion: 99 cents is far too much to pay for a single song, especially if it's not that great. Maybe I'll buy your one hit off of iTunes but I certainly won't buy your whole album (even at $9.99). I need something more for my money. Right now I can go outside, walk down the street, and purchase an entire gallon of fossil fuel for $1.74. That's less than two walmart tunes. We are talking about crude oil that was sucked, pumped, pulled out of the ground 15,000 miles away, refined, shipped half way around the world, and then trucked to my doorstep all for $1.74. That $1.74 will get me maybe as many as 30 miles away. 30 miles - even at highway cruising speeds - is a solid 8 songs on the radio.. for $1.74.. okay okay, you get my point.

Either legal music download services on the internet will come down in price, come up with a better sales model, or won't be successful until inflation causes 99 cents to be worth 50.

That's just my 2 cents.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: