This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20040722   

Geek Talk
Michael considered fate at 17:14   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Okay so it's been a slow week here, I know. What can yah do? It's summer, the sun is out, there are things to do other than sit in front of the computer.

It has, however, been an eventful week in tech & science for me.. I found eMachineShop - they'll fabricate metal bits to your specs.. you can even use their easy CAD software to design parts you need. Neat.

Also, Pad2Pad will let you design, price, and order custom circuit boards.

Tempting..tempting. In other news, I finally installed Mac OS X Panther this week on the 'ol iBook and it has certainly put a big ear-to-ear smile on my face as it's simple Expose features have solved almost all of the major UI problems I had with the system before. I'll admit that when I first heard of Expose I was skeptical that it would be very effective but having seen it in action I'm impressed with both the speed and the usability of the thing.. Plus, I finally have a hotkey to my desktop.

Course this only makes me salivate at the thought of Tiger's new global search feature.

RSS is seen as DDoS - *gasp*.. really? Well no kidding. The problem with RSS is self-evident when you think of 100,000 RSS newsreaders all hitting a website to check for updates on the hour every hour. As the Slashdot article said: RSS ... is such a useful thing, it's unfortunate that it's ultimately just very stupid.

NASA has posted more photos from the old Apollo 11 mission here.

Stephen Hawking admits he is wrong about event horizons and black holes - geniuses can make mistakes too! phew.

SCO has finally told the world what they think linux stole from them (the ELF format).

IPv6 is officially added to ICANN's root servers.. but wait.. it will run along side IPv4 for 20 years to get rid of the bugs.. Shit. All in the name of internet-wired talking fridges.

And last but not least (to me), the FAA just approved a new class of pilot licence: the Sport Pilot License allows one to fly "Light-Sport" planes (sub 1500 lbs.) with as little as 20 hours of flight instruction under your belt.

And not a technical link, but man, funny stuff, check out the mpg video of a german commercial here @ agencychick's AD HOC. yes, they really are crazy.

Anyhow, like I said.. summer.. fun.. beer.. etc, etc. I'll be heading out this evening for yet another long weekend so this page will be ever so quiet till Monday.

That is unless you all start a comment war and I come back to pages and pages of debate..

Okay, like I said, it'll be quiet till Monday.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: