This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20041008   

antiheroism
Michael considered fate at 19:18   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
I might say it alot but it's worth repeating, Anti is sometimes my hero. I know most people, when asked who their hero is, say things like Batman, Superman, Rubberman (wait, no rubberman? Why did I think there was a rubberman?), or Clinton, but me.. I'll keep things simple, my hero is Antiheroism.

Why, you might ask? It is, of course, the next logical step in the conversation. Well I will tell you it is not, as some may think, because he smokes copious amounts of ganga, or that he loafs around his apartment and skateboards, or that he is a californian.. It IS, however, because he perserveres in an uncertain world. It IS because he trudges on in a unfair market. It IS because he takes his lickins and keeps on tickin. It's because Anti, my friends, is an everyman.

Perhaps when you think of an everyman you think of Joe Neighbour mowing his grass and washing his car but no, this is not the everyman. The everyman has wants, needs, desires. Te everyman is not plastic. The everyman loafs. The everyman, when the shit hits the fan, stands up to fight and puts on a good show. The everyman, my friends, pounds signs into the ground with a big hammer. The everyman drives a truck, gets dirty, and goes home smiling. The everyman deals with the filth of the earth on a daily basis and he still bounces back from the potentially mind-altering experience of seeing this species at it's worst.

But none of that, folks, NONE of that is why Anti is one of my living, breathing heros. It's cause he's true. For a stoner you'd think he might be a little absent minded or, maybe, unmotivated.. But he's not. When pressed about advice he gave me well over six months ago he corrected me. No no, I didn't say that. he told me when I misquoted him. I said this. And you know, he was dead on. My mistake. Beat out by a chronic. So he may sit on the couch a bit, but he's cranking out posts in rapid succession, too, which is more than I can say for myself or the rest of the ragged lot out there.

Anti is so true it hurts. Drinking his tecate and smoking his cigarettes and ordering out pizza, that's an everyman. Hanging out with the boys on a friday night down at the pier, or in some dive, or anywhere, really.. that's an everyman.

And you know, even heros run into some speed bumps every now and again, and that's okay. It means their human. Real. True. Makes me appreciate them that much more cause you know they didn't get it handed to them on a silver platter, spoon in their mouth. Makes you remember that they're down in it too.

Heros don't end in "Bush" or "Trump". Heros end in "Disestablishmentarian". For a true hero is one that fights, fights, fights against the system.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: