This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20041007   

As long as I'm on the money thing
Michael considered fate at 16:24   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
When I'm bored at work I do some odd things sometime. Like write excel spreadsheets to do the darndest things. So much so they could have a show, hosted by cosby or someone, called Spreadsheets that do the Darndest Things. I imagine Fox wouldn't carry it, though.. when I say "darndest", I'm speaking relatively here.

Okay okay, to get to the point, I have a spreadsheet that I will share with you. The reason I am sharing it is because I had to install some software on my compsci account on the school's servers for a robotics class I am taking. The software is a linux-only package and must be compiled from scratch.. soooo, it being that I don't have a linux machine right now (I may try to install it on OS X in a bit, but I digress), I have to use the school's linux machines. BUT do they give me enough disk space to install this crap? Ohhh heck no. Nonsense. Anyhow, I figure the only way to get back at them is to use as much bandwidth as I can just to piss them off. No, it won't piss them off - I'm a drop in the bucket - but let's just pretend I have some sort of significance to them, mmkay?

So, bottom line? Go download my excel spreadsheet. It's a U.S. centric retirement savings spreadsheet. You enter your current age, how much you have in a 401k and IRA, how much you plan on saving over the years, how much you want to take out.. It'll show you what you need, when, and how much you'll get out. It's nifty, it's fun, and more importantly, it shows the power of compound interest - a power I think everyone should appreciate - especially my lamo friends who refuse to start saving, regardless of the fact that they are completely capable at this point.

Anyhow, the sheet has clear instructions at the top, it'll take you all of two minutes to get started, and it's fun to drool over all that money you MAY have some day.. so try it out here, mmkay?

Alright then. Any questions, just leave a comment.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: