This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20041009   

innernector
Michael considered fate at 15:06   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
I find it humourous that the term innernector, when typed into Google, results in, firstly, a suggestion:

Did you mean: internet

and secondly, only two search results both of which are this very site.

You'd have thunk it would be out there somewhere other than just here. I'm not the ONLY one in the world to be makin' up me own words like that. Come on.

The reason I bring this up is cause I saw a new version today, intermanet, over on rampantsmaats and I thought - how cool would it be to start up a list of funny smellings of internet?

Get it?

Got it?

So I tried, I wanted to see who says innernector and no one does. but me. damn. And I don't even know how you'd go about searching for those sorts of things. Which, which, WHICH brings me to my next point. Google, listen up. I know you're caching pages anyways.. we've been over this. So why not - why fucking not - why not let us search using regular expressions?

Regular Expressions (regex's for short) are, for those who don't know, the sort of things that let you type:

> dir *.txt

to get a directory listing of all .txt (text) files in a given location on your hard drive. or

>ls *.txt

if you're coming from the *nix world. Ha, see what I did there? I used the star, the asterix, to imply "anything". i.e. Linix, Unix, Minix, etc. Anything that "matches", that is.

Alright, so that's not exactly regular expressions, but it's the general idea. Using non-alphanumeric characters to specify patterns to match.

Now, regular expressions - while not recursive - are very powerful. You could do a lot with regex's and if google let you, it could be a much more powerful tool than it already is.

Course that would take a heck of a lot more processing power and it would be ass slow.. sure sure sure.

So? Solution! The reverse-suggestion. Somewhere, I would like to type in "Internet" and get back a list of all terms that, if they had been typed in, Google would have said:

Did you mean: internet

So, things like innernector. It'd be useful to me. No, really. I mean, how else am I going to add to the base of human creation if not to provide a list of silly internet misspellings?

Come on Google. Wise up.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: