This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20041223   

Michael considered fate at 11:56   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Raymi tells us today in tony's comments that
... i am not that hard to understand. cynical + short fuse + arrogance + insecurity/lots of security + booze + half-ass sense of humor + social anxiety + read a lot of books way back when = most annoying person to be around who thinks they are an expert on everything. oh i forgot vapid and vain.
which probably outlines exactly why a lot of people love her and her blog. She is what she says she is, she admits it, and that's that. And somewhere in all that short-fused cynical arrogance and insecurity there is a certain amount of fearlessness or maybe enough insanity to just not know any better. Either way, it works.

Some people who read this blog don't understand why I find Tony's writing so appealing and sometimes I can't always explain it well but it basically goes like this - often times I'll read a post of his and 1/3rd of the way into it I think to myself "man, that's a good idea, I can totally expand on that.. I got things to say about this," and I continue to read. When I'm 2/3rds into it I think "gee, I could have written this but with a different twist.. I wouldn't do what he did there and there but it would be the same idea and.. damn, he's already done it." By the time I'm finished I'm back to square one - staring at a computer screen with nothing to say because, basically, it's been said already and probably better than I could have.

It's his stories that get me the most, like his Kurt Cobain trip to hell. It's those abstract and slightly off-kilter ways of looking at things, as if you could actually take a trip to hell with Kurt Cobain via Death Valley on a Greyhound. Brilliant! Most of the writing I do on here is chock full of bad metaphors and lousy analogies, which is what I have the most fun doing. It's not something I plan or really put a lot of thinking into, I just think that way. I abstract. I relate completely unrelated things. Everything, in the end, comes down to a car analogy. What Tony does, however, is write some fun stories that are themselves bizarro abstractions on the way we see people, places, and things. Like having conversations with his blog. Like comparing kissing a girl with time travel.

And not only do these people - Tony, Raymi, Jaime, Anti - do some interesting things, tell interesting stories, and throw up fun photos; they also do it a lot. Would you read the New York Times if you didn't know whether it would show up on your doorstep every morning or not? Would you tune into the nightly news if there was a 50/50 chance they'd play a repeat? I dunno, I wouldn't.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: