This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20050116   

Michael considered fate at 20:10   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
I was told once that, no matter what celebrity someone might say you look like, it's a good thing. "Yah, man, association with a star can't be bad, right?". I dunno, I guess not. So Tobey Maguire isn't the worst insult I could get but it is certainly creepy how often it is uttered. The one everyone forgets though, is Ben Seaver from the Growing Pains.. I guess the show is old enough now that he is slipping from the collective consciousness so only the older gals - ones in my age range and above - make the connection.

For the young-uns it's Tobey now. Truly, I won't complain, but it's always a little disconcerting to be labelled not as a type of person - communist, liberal, hippy, pseudo-intellectual, whathaveyou - but as an actual person.. someone else. Someone you are, clearly, NOT.

> you should be his naked double
> the one that has sex with hot girls

> riiight

I'm not even sure I recall any of his roles as having sex with hot girls, except maybe charlize theron in cider house rules.. I guess I wouldn't pass that up without some consideration, but still. Have I no redeeming qualities of my own?

At parties now it's often the gift of conversation, where two or three girls will giggle and guess about who it is I'm reminding them of. "You know, that guy in Spiderman" if they can't remember his name. Bah. I do my best to laugh it off and say I guess so because, really, how do you respond to such preposterousness?

Now that the head is shaved down to stubble the connection isn't what it used to be.. I'm no more Maguire now than the next guy and I'm certainly not Ben Seaver. Not right now, anyway. I keep telling myself that the little-boy look will work out for me in the end. The single-dimple will surely be a deadly weapon when, in my later thirties and still not married, all the other guys my age look their age and I'm still being address as mikey and asked if I need a ride to school.

Yippee-Kai-Ai-Eh, work with what you got.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: