This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20050207   

Michael considered fate at 17:47   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
I'll be honest with you, I have been known, on occasion, to get a little jealous of some of the comraderie among bloggers that goes on sometimes (e.g. the jaime and anti visit). yah, it's a little gay, as anti so unceremoniously puts it, but fuck it.. i had a rough weekend, i could have certainly used a quiet few days in nyc eating shitty brunches and taking pictures instead of the hellraizer-birthday-superbowl extravaganza weekend I had instead. Well, it was fun of course. Don't get me wrong. But sometimes a quiet weekend is what you really want.

And so last night, laying in bed last night with a belly full of orange pekoe tea (for I was far too battered after the weekend for beer during the superbowl) I stared wide-eyed at the ceiling for some time, heart racing a million miles a minute on caffeine and the narcotics of amped-up sporting events. I thought about all the people I know who probably didn't even watch a minute of the superbowl, and I thought about all the people I know who barely know how to turn a computer on - and more importantly, don't mind.

It's a small world out there with a mere 6 billion people in it but when you start digging around and looking under rocks things get sort of interesting. We've spent years staring at the stars when right here under our feet is some craazzzy shit. I mean, come on - some dude who digs the superbowl on one side, and another who doesn't know how to turn on a computer on the other side. How much more interesting is that?

So most of my friends know how to turn a computer on, I'll give you that, but there is a fine line between a computer user and a computer.. how shall we say here without being too pejorative... computer savvy. How's that? When someone who accidentally turns off their toolbar in Microsoft word asks me "Hey, do you know what happened to the scissors? I need my little scissors to chop out some text".. well, I peg them as a computer user. Someone who is computer savvy, however, knows the cntrl-c keyboard shortcut. Someone who is computer savvy knows what an IP address is, and what it's for. Or maybe they don't, but they know how to write some HTML - real html, not using a WYSIWYG. Or maybe they write their own shell scripts to automate some tedious daily task. Or maybe they just use linux because it's free and they like being able to compile everything from scratch. Whatever.

These are different people. They aren't my friends - or if they are, we never talk about it. I don't know what it is that makes one person all about talking shop and the next guy not, but it happens. Whether it's kids in school yapping on about their professor or that nasty assignment or it's the dude in the cubicle next to you who just won't shut up about TPS reports - you know who they are. Seriously entrenched.

My friends aren't seriously entrenched, thank god, not in that irritating way, but they all have their little habits, their hobbies, that make them interesting for some odd reason. More often than not, though? They don't really share it much. Super secret little hobby-hobbies that they each do on their own time.. mostly. I'm not complaining, but it's interesting, really. What makes one crazy fucker want to share their irritating stamp-collecting hobby with every last person who crosses their path and yet and yet.. there is the occasional normal person out there.

If I didn't think it was such a farce maybe I would have gone into sociology. or psych. i dunno.

yah, and by the way - koolaid is ghetto.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: