This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20050721   

Michael considered fate at 01:16   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
In my head, I was somewhere in northern canada marching across what appeared to be a pretty barren tundra. Not completely frozen or snow covered, but certainly suffering from a pretty bad case of perma-frost. Tufts of brown grass held on here and there and, despite the strong wind, it wasn't particularly cold. I had some sort of animal skins thrown over me as a sort of shawl and under that just jeans and a white long sleeve t-shirt. I was wearing mocassins. As I trudged along I had to lean a bit into the wind, holding the animal skins tightly around me to keep them from whipping around in my face.

The destination was Greenland. I don't exactly know why but I knew for certain that there was more opportunity there. I knew if I could just get to the coast and find a boat, borrow an eskimo's kayak, I could make it. Never mind that it was hundreds of miles across the open waters of the North Atlantic. Never mind that I wasn't a good seamn, didn't have supplies, and didn't actually know where in Greenland I was heading. I just knew I had to get there. This, at least, was set.


I kept walking, stumbling forward through the strong gusts of crisp air, but nothing really changed. I was staring at a dark blue horizon, the sun setting behind me in the west, but there was nothing out there. No water, no trees, no towns.. nothing. Then, suddenly, there was a great and blinding light to the north. As it glarred into existence in an instance, I snapped my head towards it's direction, startled. It pierced through my skull like hot metal through butter. I reeled back, caught myself, and realized I was up against a wall of some sort. I was facing this wall, which had suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and I had my arms up high over my head, my hands pressed firmly against the smooth surface. I was, I realized, trying to climb the wall. As my eyes slowly stopped throbbing in their sockets and I became accustomed to the light I started to see all sorts of new things around me. A bedside table. A book. A radio alarmclock. I looked down and saw that I was crouched on a small wooden dresser. In the center of the blinding light stood a figure, tall - maybe six feet or more - and broad. I saw only it's outline, nothing more. My mouth opened but nothing came out. I froze, waiting.. One second. Two. And then it spoke.

"Go back to bed, Michael," my father always was a no-nonsense sort of guy.

I nodded. Numb, stupid, still half way between dream and awake, but aware. I began to climb down off the dresser but then I stopped and looked up. My right hand was still firmly planted on the wall, high, over my head. Underneath it was a National Geographic Explorer world map - old enough to have U.S.S.R. plastered across Eurasia. Directly above my hand, where my finger tips were still unconciously inching, stretching, reaching for, lay Greenland.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: