This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20050722   

Michael considered fate at 15:18   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
Today I found, snuggled inbetween snide comments and witty humor on McSweeney's, a juicy tidbit in the advice column (Dan Kennedy Solves Your Problems With Paper). It wasn't so much advice as it was response to a thank-you note. A reader had written in and thanked Dan for "facilitating procrastination" - i.e. slacking off on company time. And without further ado, here is the juicy tidbit (last sentence):
I have, at different times in my life, partaken in slacking off on company time ... sitting there pleasantly numbed with a head full of recycled air that's been filtered through 20 floors of stylish nylon executive carpet and assorted veneers and Formica; just taking big deep breaths of the pleasant, thin barrier between me and the outside world. I would pocket a three pack of Post-it® Notes (3-by-3, canary yellow, not packaged for resale), grab a free coffee, and make a couple of free long-distance calls. And while I spoke to family members and ex-girlfriends in rehab, I'd look out the window at passersby and think, "Look at those dumb bastards out there still dealing with silly everyday problems like love and death when I've got all I need right here." But let me tell you something about time: Life's odometer does not discriminate. That is to say, at the end of the line, it was all our time.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: