This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20060206   

Michael considered fate at 20:06   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
To be honest, I never have been able to understand cutters - those people who cut themselves to feel something (aka self-harmers), so this one is odd: UK nurses want to supply clean blades and cutting advice:
[The nurses] say people determined to harm themselves should be helped to minimise the risk of infection from dirty blades, in the same way as drug addicts are issued with clean needles.

This could include giving the “self-harm” patients sterile blades and clean packets of bandages or ensuring that they keep their own blades clean. Nurses would also give patients advice about which parts of the body it is safer to cut.
Without getting into a debate on this might I just say what the fah..? For shizzle, is this the sort of thing I want my gov'ment spending money on? huh? Granted I am not from the UK but just a "what if" for the states. Are these people that my tax dollars should be supporting in this way? Certainly, a poverty stricken single mother is something the government should consider helping. Certainly, a veteran who defended his country and lost his legs because of it should be considered. It's arguable to some whether heroin addicts should even be provided with clean needles. For nizzle, are self-harming people such an epidemic that a nationwide debate must be raised? Perhaps I am clueless as to how wide-spread this social problem is.

Note that I'm not providing answers to any of my questions; I simply don't have them.

Do you self-harm yourself? Punch yourself in the gut? Cut your wrists? A large craze in my junior high (admitting my age here: that was in 91-92) was the "scratch test" whereby you took a paper clip and proceeded to scratch it on the back of your hand until you could absolutely no longer stand it. This basically resulted in 50% of the student population running around with giant scabs on the back of their hand, to which I am still scratching my head. Needless to say I never tried it.

Side note: When Dustin Hoffman pounded his head against the wall of Mrs. Robinson's bedroom in The Graduate it was actually un-intended improv that the director kept in the film - Hoffman had actually forgotten his lines and proceeded with this act of self-harming as a result of his frustration.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: