This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20060319   

Michael considered fate at 17:36   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
For another example of our failing patent laws, check out this weekends op-ed piece in the NYTimes by Michael Crichton titled "This Essay Breaks the Law":
Elevated homocysteine is linked to B-12 deficiency, so doctors should test homocysteine levels to see whether the patient needs vitamins.
ACTUALLY, I can't make that last statement. A corporation has patented that fact, and demands a royalty for its use. Anyone who makes the fact public and encourages doctors to test for the condition and treat it can be sued for royalty fees. Any doctor who reads a patient's test results and even thinks of vitamin deficiency infringes the patent. A federal circuit court held that mere thinking violates the patent.
Think I'm done? Nope, I got one more. Marvel and DC Comics are trying to trademark "super-hero" in order to keep the little man (indie comics) down. Is that a joke? No, I guess not. As a sidenote, I saw V for Vendetta last night and, if I had to guess, I don't think V would be on the trademark bandwagon - though he might be for blowing up great cultural facades (see next newest post).

Even if Alan Moore asked to be removed from the credits despite being the author of the graphic novel the movie is based on, I give director James McTeigue and screenwriters the Wachowski bros an A- for sticking to the original plot fairly faithfully.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: