This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20061115   

Michael considered fate at 11:47   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
I'm a little late in the game to be mentioning the recent winning bid of the Red Sox for the right to negotiate with a Japanese pitcher, but what the heck.. it has been making my head ring for a solid 24 hours:
The market price for pitching talent is soaring so high that it's come to this: The Boston Red Sox are ready to pay more than $50 million [51.1] just for the right to negotiate with Daisuke Matsuzaka, who's never thrown his "gyroball" -- or any pitch, for that matter -- in the major leagues.
No joke, I actually lost sleep last night over this. I won't try and claim it is because I am such a staunch fan of the BoSox and worry like a grandmother about their financial well being. It isn't because I'm concerned about the sustainability of baseball and think that perhaps this is going nowhere good. I am simply astounded that someone - anyone, even an organization of anyones - would pay over fifty million dollars for the right to talk to someone.

I lost sleep folks.

Now the Red Sox have 30 days to try and get a contract out of this Matsuzaka character.. which, itself, will likely come in close to $10 million a year for a three year dealio. Adding on my fingers tells me that could mean as much as $81 million total, or $27 million a year, for a single unproven (in the MLB) pitcher.



Here in britcoalville we spell that r i d i c u l o u s.

Luckily - and that is drippy sarcasm there - the Red Sox were savvy auction betters and they only put in a bid $10 million above (25% higher than) the next highest, from the Mets. That's great.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: