This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.                             the guys: philogynist jaime tony - the gals:raymi raspil

        20070307   

Michael considered fate at 12:01   |   Permalink   |   Post a Comment
For back story, see the previous post below.

The other day I saw someone run over a squirrel. I was right behind him driving. The squirrel, well, it was writhing around, presumably in pain, on the road, until it probably died. I didn't stay around for long to watch.

Sure, the situation made me feel helpless as I was on the highway driving 80, in mid chorus of "Knock knock knockin on heaven's door", but what the hell am I supposed to do? Risk my life to try to save a squirrel that probably is going to die anyway? Stop and pull over the car to rush him to the squirrel ER? Certainly no one expects that. Certainly no one else would do that? not even ghandi or jesus or "His holiness" himself? right?

Then you think about survival of the fittest...well maybe that squirrel was supposed to die; you know because he was weak of mind: so stupid to jump out in front of a moving vehicle. but then you think, maybe it's just the opposite, maybe the only reason squirrels even exist in this world is because they are brave, because they have that proclivity for "the daring life". you know, just flinging themselves from branch to branch on a wish and a prayer that they'll catch that twig with one of their little phalanges and pull themselves again and again to safety by the skin of their teeth. And maybe...just maybe that squirrel was one of the good ones... maybe that squirrel was the next step in squirrel evolution, the missing link.

I'll take it one step further without being silly and put out there that maybe god gave us humans the mind to develop fast squirrel smooshing cars so we would run over squirrels, so that squirrels (and maybe that squirrel in particular) don't evolve into a higher species, perhaps then someday surpassing humans in intelligence. because maybe god doesn't want to see a future of little brainiac squirrels saying that they were made in the image of god. because maybe god doesn't want to be thought of looking like a squirrel. Maybe he likes the idea that people think he looks like sexy jesus with the long flowing hair.

I think it's all very likely. which is why in the future I will not stop for squirrels. i will drive on and continue singing as the doppler effect kicks in and my tune blurs into flats, and the squirrel lays on the pavement with one eye open just wide enough to see the rubbery tread of the next car and the next car swirve around him. while he wishes someone would just put him out of his misery.

All these questions, but it brings me back to your idea about the world and 25,000 miles and people starving. yah, all that stuff...it's the same...it makes me feel helpless, because I don't know what to do with it. It's too overwhelming, so I just turn on the TV and watch Saw III. you know, something to get my mind off why people die uselessly.


Powered by Blogger

Check out heroecs, the robotics team competition website of my old supervisor's daughter. Fun stuff!
Page finished loading at: